Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Open Sesame

Well, the dedicated X-ray suite at the orthopedic surgeon's offices which everyone has been waiting for is now open, finally. I was meant to start work there in the first week of August, but due to problems with construction, installation, commissioning and power outages the project has dragged on until now. But, as of 8am this morning, we are, as they say at NASA, "good to go."

It has to be said that so far it seems to be a decent place to work. The building has recently (within the last year) been fitted out, and apart from a few spots where the roof has leaked it looks pretty good for a doctor's office. My X-ray machine seemed to function fairly well all day, although all the preset kVp/mAs settings are gone after the power outage, so I have to set my own (that's where I decide how much radiation you get, whether I'm just tickling you to get through your finger or blasting the living daylights out of you to get through your entire chest.) I had a quick look at the manuals for it and I think I may be able to program the thing myself - after all, how hard can it be ?

As luck would have it, a sales rep from a drug company came up to 'educate physicians on new development within the company product range' or, more precisely, to peddle drugs. Legal ones, of course. One of the sales rep's duties is to buy lunch for the staff, and not to be cheap doing it. Unfortunately the best Gloucester has to offer is Applebee's so I settled for Santa Fe Chicken Salad. When I was on clinical training at Oyster Point the grub came from a very expensive restaurant called Christaldi's, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

Tater is a thief. I made a peanut butter sandwich tonight, and was reaching for a plate to put it on when he leapt up from behind me and stole it. I chased him into the living room, but he'd buried himself in the sofa before I could catch him and bitten a huge chunk off by the time I prized open his jaws. Bad lad, he's meant to be on a wheat-free diet. I think this is the canine equivalent of falling off the wagon.

Thought for the day - if someone's gonna pee, have them in the tent peeing out, not outside the tent peeing in. Night, all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

next time get the burger, you twat