Saturday, August 19, 2006

The County Fair

Well, El Jeffe and myself went to Gloucester County Fair today. It was hot, but not so hot you couldn't go out in it. Gloucester County is fairly rural, about 10000 people live in the county but most of it is farmland and estuary. The largest town has around 3000 people, so things are usually pretty sedate here. The nice thing about the place is that you see a lot of people you know - the hospital I work at sponsored a lot of the fair's attractions, and provided the 'cool truck' which tours the fairground giving out cold water and fans to the hot and the weary.

Anyway, there were some animals there, an alpaca which I'd never seen, some sheep, goats, minature ponies, a huge turkey and a sweet little calf. I'm glad we didn't take Poppy and Tater because they would have upset the animals.
There was also a tent, in which the various competitions were being judges - the best ear of wheat, the nicest tomatoes, the largest gourd etc. You don't see stuff like that coming from a big town like I do, and I think it's a shame. I remember the local newspaper last year had the 7-year old winner of the 'Best Looking Chicken Competition' on the front page during last year's County Fair.
Here's a picture of some of this year's entries.

El Jeffe and I are not what you'd call hellraising party animals (although it has to be said that I have had my moments, and El Jeffe with a couple of Margaritas in her is a wondrous sight to behold) and perhaps that's just as well. Here's a picture of the rules of the Fair - and there was me hoping to see an authentic cussin'and spittin' contest. I mean, Profanity, well OK there are children around so I suppose we should mind our language, but just look at this sign. bare feet!! In public!! Wouldn't that just jar your Mother's preserves. Or maybe it's supposed to apply to your pets.

Anyway, all in all, a good day. Oh, I almost forgot - here's a picture of El Jeffe and myself with none other than a Congressional candidate who's name escapes me. El Jeffe says he's a Democrat anyway. But at least he had his shoes on.

Thought for the day-I been rich, and I been poor. And I tell you, folks, rich is best. Night, all.

No comments: