Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just Looking...

Well, El Jeffe and I went househunting this weekend. Not for real, you understand. Just looking.
I was amazed just how much house you can buy currently, due to the economic downturn. We found a recently completed house in Gloucester, 3100 sq.ft, that was built inside in a kind of Moorish style, arched doorways, vaulted ceilings, huge atrium around the stairs. It was $351,000.
To put that in perspective, our current 3-bed rancher, at 1400sq.ft, was valued 2 years ago at $245,000. We'd probably get $215k for it now, at a stretch. In my home country of Britain, in the town I grew up in, that new house would go for S1000,000 at least,I kid you not.
Needless to say, we were crunching the numbers when we got back, and we were found wanting, but not by all that much. We could do it, but we'd be mortgage slaves, and that's no fun. I suggested we could salt Tater for a week or two and try to sell him as bison steaks to raise some cash, but El jeffe wouldn't hear of it. Sure was a nice house, though.

Thought for the day - an Englishman's home is his castle. Just make sure you pay the gong-farmer well. Night, all.

No comments: