Thursday, July 20, 2006

Absolutely Hank Marvin

Well, I had a preliminary mock X-ray Registry test today, in preparation for the real thing next Wednesday (see previous post "The Registry Looms"), and it was an early start. I left home at 8am, and by the end of the test I was very hungry, or as we English would say, "Absolutely Hank Marvin" (starvin'). The Registry is a test of brain power, logical reasoning, memory, intelligence and rational thought. All these things I find very taxing, so I'd worked up a raging and fearful hunger by the end of it.

So off we went, getting to a decidedly Proletarian biker bar called Hoss's Deli about 11.40, and promptly ordered drink and food to be brought out without further ado. A glass of tea went down, no food. Another. Nothing. Waitress refilling drinks and muttering darkly about food delays. Some of my friends were drinking beer, naturally, and by 12.30 there were as many pitchers on the table as there were people around it. Things were turning ugly.

By 1pm we were getting desperate. We hadn't eaten for hours, you see, and the low blood sugar wasn't reacting well with the alcohol for some people. Unfortunately, Hoss's Deli is kind of greasy and seedy, especially Hoss himself. We briefly considered leaving in a huff, but doing a runner from Hoss's is not like haggling over the bill in IHOP. The regulars were starting to look over and gnaw on their beards.

Anyway, the food turned up, and it has to be said that it was first-rate, especially for somewhere as rough as Hoss's - I mean, there's a sign asking for patrons to refrain from gambling or touching the waitresses without paying first (I kid you not - I'd love to see the place on a Saturday night) and the menu includes both steamed and grilled hooker. I'm married, so I just went for grilled chicken and crab meat sandwich.

So all in all, quite an experience. I'd definitely go back (although I doubt El Jeffe would like it.) If you're ever looking for somewhere different to eat on the Virginia Peninsula, you could do worse than try the hot steamed hookers at Hoss's Deli, although you might want to bring a snack.

Thought for the day - wake up with a smile on your face: go to bed with a coathanger in your mouth. Night, all.

No comments: